Dean, Nelson Poynter Memorial Library
Dean, Nelson Poynter Memorial Library
University of South Florida St. Petersburg
The University of South Florida St. Petersburg (USFSP) is a separately accredited institution within the University of South Florida System. USFSP is a Master-level institution which serves over 5,500 students and has been awarded the Carnegie Foundation’s elective classification as a Civically Engaged University. Three Colleges, Arts and Sciences, Business and Education, grant undergraduate and graduate degrees. USFSP faculty are research active and many are nationally and internationally recognized scholars. USFSP prides itself on its regional character and involvement in the St. Petersburg community. The Nelson Poynter Memorial Library is a key element in USFSP’s strategic plan. With about 200,000 book holdings; access to thousands of electronic journals complemented by holdings in the research libraries at USF-Tampa and USF-Health; and several well-regarded special collections, the Poynter Library serves thousands of individuals, including many from the community.
USFSP seeks a dynamic leader with a deep understanding of the role of libraries in the modern academy and a clear and compelling vision for the future of academic libraries as well as associated support services such as online learning and instructional technology services. Reporting directly to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, the incumbent serves on the USFSP senior leadership groups and has significant budgetary and management authority. With a staff of 8 library faculty, 8 administrative and 11 staff employees, as well as numerous student workers and temporary staff, the Poynter Library has a major impact on the learning outcomes of students, the research conducted by faculty members, and the overall knowledge environment of the broader St. Petersburg community.
Specifically, the responsibilities of the Dean of the Library include:
- Overall fiscal responsibility for planning and execution of the library budget, including education and general funds, library materials allocation, auxiliary enterprises and endowment funds.
- Supervision and evaluation (either directly or indirectly through delegated supervisors) of all library faculty, administrative and staff employees, as well as student workers and part-time temporary staff.
- Strategic planning, program development, assessment and accreditation processes for the library, online learning and instructional technology services.
- Institutional coordination of online learning and serves as the accountable officer for use of Distance Learning funds.
- Leadership in the management of the institutional repository, the USFSP Digital Archive.
- Academic leadership for professional development of library faculty and staff, university and professional services participation and research activities.
- Outreach to both campus and the broader community for library programs and services.
- Library advocacy and fundraising in coordination with the USFSP Office of Advancement.
With regard to these specific responsibilities, the Dean:
- Interprets USFSP, USF-System, and SUS Board of Governors’ relevant policies, procedures, rules and regulations to faculty, staff, students and the public.
- Works collaboratively with the Deans or Directors of all USF System libraries, as needed, to review policies and guidelines for the USF System shared electronic collections. Works in a consultative manner with library faculty and staff to develop and recommend library and online learning and instructional technology services to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, and to interpret library and online learning and instructional technology services policies and procedures.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated:
- Knowledge and experience with policies, procedures, and fiscal processes for library, instructional technology and online learning functions;
- Ability to work productively with a diverse set of library constituencies, including inter-campus and community stakeholders;
- Appreciation of the importance of diversity to the modern academy;
- Ability to develop and implement strategic plans, including development of appropriate metrics;
- Ability to develop and manage budgets in a challenging budget environment;
- Strong interpersonal skills and leadership ability;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited program; eight years or more of progressively responsible experience in an academic library environment; demonstrated ability to develop and manage budgets; a record of scholarly and professional achievement commensurate with an appointment as University Librarian; effective organizational and interpersonal skills; excellent written and oral communication skills.
Doctoral or second master’s degree in an academic discipline; demonstrated knowledge of collection development, public and technical services in all formats, including online learning and instructional technologies; demonstrated ability to work with diverse constituencies; and experience with an institutional repository.
Application review will begin in October, 2015 and will continue until the position is filled. For best consideration, applicant materials should be received by October 15, 2015.
This position is subject to a criminal background check.
For additional information please visit USFSP http://www.usfsp.edu/home/, the Nelson Poynter Memorial Library http://lib.usfsp.edu/, and http://dspace.nelson.usf.edu/xmlui/handle/10806/4861.
Dept Number/Name: 3-5130-000 Library
College/Division: USFSP-Academic Affairs
Salary Plan: Faculty
Hiring Salary/Salary Range: Negotiable
Position Number: 00004418
Start Date: August, 2016
How To Apply
USFSP conducts Searches under the guidelines of the Florida Sunshine Law.
To apply, please go to: http://www.click2apply.net/753qxycvw6
Apply online by completing the required information. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Upload a cover letter addressing the requirements of the position, CV, unofficial transcript, and contact information for 5 references. YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME, PLUS ANY OTHER REQUESTED MATERIAL, MUST BE IN ONE ATTACHMENT. Only online applications are accepted for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity
USFSP is an EO/Equal Access Institution. Welcoming…Diverse…Inclusive